Legal Nursing Degree
Students pursuing a legal nursing degree build upon the foundations they’ve already achieved with either an associate’s or bachelor’s in nursing. They learn the intersection between their understanding of medical terminology and how to apply that in legal capacities. Legal nursing consultants (LNC) are nursing graduates who have gone back to school to work within a legal framework. They provide expert medical advice to those considering business or legal actions involving the medical field.
Source: American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants
Job Opportunities for Legal Nursing Degree Program Graduates
There are a number of opportunities for these liaisons between two sectors. The principal one is consulting with attorneys, either in criminal or civil cases. A legal nursing degree holder can aid attorneys in digesting medical developments that will help them better portray the suffering of a client pursuing personal injury damages, for example. They can also work with insurance companies who are developing new policies or attempting to decide whether or not treatments are valid and should be covered by a current health insurance plan. According to the American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants, specializations may include nurse expert witness, insurance industry consultant, forensic consultant, and risk manager.
Career Outlook and Salary for Legal Nurses
The Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn’t provide data on legal nurse salary but reports that registered nurses earn a median annual salary of $65,950 as of May 2011.1 One reason for a positive outlook for legal nurses is the large number of medical malpractice cases that continue to grow. In addition to other careers mentioned, patient advocacy is also a possibility, enabling legal nursing degree holders to help those seeking medical treatment get aid or support if they’re suffering financial difficulties.
Online Legal Nursing Degrees and Related School Programs
- Legal Studies, BA (Online)
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Criminal Justice, AA
Grand Canyon University
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
- B.S. in Justice Studies
California University of Pennsylvania
- Master of Science in Legal Studies: Law and Public Policy
- Bachelor of Arts in Jurisprudence: Legal Studies
- Master of Science in Legal Studies: Criminal Justice
University of Phoenix
- A.A. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice Administration/Human Services for Criminal Justice
- B.S in Criminal Justice Administration/Cybercrimes
Medical Career Institute
- RN to BSN
- MSN - Nursing, General (CCNE-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Nursing, General (CCNE-accredited)
- MSN -Diabetes Nursing (CCNE-accredited)
Colorado Technical University Online
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice: Human Services
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291111.htm
Page Edited by Charles Sipe.