Information Security Officer Job Description & Career Outlook
The job of an Information Security Officer (sometimes referred to as an information security manager or information system manager) is to protect an agency’s or business’s IT (information technology) programs from internal and external threats. Specifically, they are charged with the task of making sure viruses, spyware, bots or other harmful programs are not utilized to compromise the computer information system of an organization.
Responsibilities of the information security officer include monitoring the IT system for the organization to look for threats to security, establishing protocols for identifying and neutralizing threats, and maintaining updated anti-virus software to block said threats. They are responsible for setting the computer usage protocols for their organizations and facilitating training at the organization on minimizing threats to the IT system. They are also key in determining which types of software should be utilized. The information security officer also is charged with the task of investigating cases where the system has been compromised and taking the appropriate actions.
Information security officers work for both the public and private sectors. Since the nature of their work involves working with computer systems, they work in clean, climate controlled environments and requires the ability to sit for long periods of time.
Information Security Officer Requirements & Education
The minimum requirement for an information security officer is an associate’s degree in information technology; however, many agencies and business prefer to hire individuals with a bachelor’s degree or higher. In addition, they must attend regular continuing education courses to stay abreast of the rapidly changing technology and threats.
Information Security Officer Salary & Career Outlook
As computer technology continues to be spread to all aspects of the personal and professional world, the job outlook for information security officers is positive. According to the United States Department of Labor, job opportunities in this field will grow at a faster than average rate. Average salary for an IT security officer is approximately $112,000 per year.
Featured Online Criminal Justice Schools
- IT Management - Bachelor
- Information Science - Cloud Computing - Bachelor
- Database Programming - Associate
University of Phoenix
- B.S in Information Technology/Mobile Development
- A.A. in Information Technology/Web Administration
- B.S. in Information Technology - Business System Analysis
- MS in Management - Information Technology
- MS in Information Technology - Project Management
- BSIT/ Information Systems Track - Multiplatform Software Development
- M.S. in Information Technology - Information Security
- B.S. in Information Technology - Self Designed
- M.S. in Information Technology - Software Engineering 2
Salem International University
- Management (BS)
- PhD - Information Technology, General
- BS - Information Technology, General
- DBA - Information Technology Management
Baker College Online
- Associate of Applied Science - Information Technology Support Specialist
- Bachelor of Information Systems - Project Management and Planning
- Bachelor of Computer Science - Computer Science
Page Edited by Charles Sipe.