A criminology degree can be earned at both the bachelor’s or master’s level. This degree will prepare individuals for entry-level positions in crime labs as forensic specialists, as private investigators, law enforcement officers and various other criminal justice related careers.
Criminology Degree Training and Courses
While studying, the individual will learn the aspects of the criminal justice system, the roles played by individuals in the system, crime scene investigation and processing, crime history, government and law enforcement. There are many specialty areas in which the individual may consider such as ballistic analysis, fingerprint analysis or processing trace evidence such as hair and fibers. The student learns scientific methods of solving crimes and analyzing suspect behaviors. Also, the criminologist learns about victimology and how victims are key in solving crimes.
Career Outlook for Criminology Degree Program Graduates
The bachelor’s degree can be completed in four years with an additional two required to reach the master’s degree level. Job growth for police jobs has slowed due to the economic downturn and budget reductions so a college degree can help individuals compete for openings. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects 7% job growth for police and detectives from 2010-2020.1 Individuals should also possess good computer skills and the ability to work well with the public. For individuals who wish to work in forensic labs, they will also need a background in biology or other applied sciences.
Online Criminology Degree Program Info, Courses, and Criminal Justice Schools
The University of Liverpool
- MSc in Forensic Psychology and Criminal Investigation
California University of Pennsylvania
- MA in Social Science (Applied Criminology)
- Master of Science in Legal Studies: Criminal Justice
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Mental Health Applications
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
University of the Rockies
- MA in Psychology, Criminology and Justice Studies
University of Phoenix
- B.S in Criminal Justice Administration/Cybercrimes
- B.S. in Criminal Justice Administration - Human Services
- B.S. in Criminal Justice Administration - Management
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Criminal Justice, AA
Baker College Online
- Bachelor of Criminal Justice
A leading Canadian Criminology School is Simon Fraser University.
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Protective-Service/Police-and-detectives.htm
Page Edited by Charles Sipe.