Vermont is one of the least populous states in the US and about 670 paralegals were working in the state as of 2018.1 About half of Vermont paralegals work in the Burlington metro area.1 Vermont paralegal schools offer a wide variety of options. For those looking to earn a paralegal degree and become a paralegal in Vermont, these schools offer education and internship experience in one of the fastest growing fields in the United States.
How to Become a Paralegal in Vermont
Vermont does not mandate any particular training or education for paralegals, so aspiring paralegals in the state can take a variety of paths, whether they choose to start by pursuing a degree or certificate in paralegal studies or with on-the-job training in a law office or other business. As in most other states, Vermont paralegals are prohibited from giving legal advice and must work under the supervision of a licensed attorney.
Vermont Paralegal Salary and Job Outlook
Paralegals in Vermont earned an average annual salary of $50,570 as of 2018, coming in close to the national average.1 Vermont also enjoys a relatively low unemployment rate of 2.3%.2 Though projections for paralegal jobs growth in the state are moderate at 7% through 2024, Vermont can still be a good place to pursue a paralegal degree, especially considering the competitive salary for qualified applicants.3
Profiles of Well-Known Schools in Vermont
Champlain College: The Division of Education and Human Studies Majors at Champlain College offers a Bachelor of Science in legal studies (pre-law). This program consists of eight semesters with full-time study, with core major courses including Introduction to Law, Criminal Law, Contracts, Torts, and Legal Research and Writing. During their senior year, students must complete an internship by dedicating 165 work hours to a designated law office. Legal studies majors can also work with Criminal Justice and Computer & Digital Forensics students in an annual mock murder trial.
Top Law Firms for Paralegal Graduates in Vermont
- Dinse Knapp & McAndrew PC specializes in the most complex legal problems and has received Martindale-Hubbell’s and Chambers USA’s highest ratings. The firm is results-driven and has worked on many high-profile cases. Dinse Knapp McAndrew invites interested applicants to send resumes for current and future paralegal positions.
- Gravel & Shea is one of the premier law firms in Vermont and aims to provide cost-effective representation for any legal situation. Gravel & Shea regularly recruits paralegals and other support staff.
- Langrock Sperry & Wool, LLP uses a team approach to litigation. With over 50 years of history, Langrock Sperry & Wool is prepared to meet the legal needs of all of its clients, large and small. Qualified and motivated individuals are encouraged to apply to become paralegals for the firm.
Paralegal Schools and Programs in Vermont
Champlain College (Burlington, VT)
Bachelor of Science | Legal Studies
Minor | Legal Studies
Master of Science | Law (online)
Master of Science | Mediation & Applied Conflict Studies
- Vermont Paralegal Organization – A volunteer-based organization for Vermont paralegals to develop leadership skills and pursue education and networking opportunities.
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics May 2018 Occupational Employment and Wages, Paralegals and Legal Assistants: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes232011.htm
2. Bureau of Labor Statistics Local Area Unemployment Statistics, Unemployment Rates for States: https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
3. Projections Central Long Term Occupational Projections: http://www.projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm
CriminalJusticeDegreeSchools.com ranking lists can help you find the best program for you. Explore our methodology for ranking criminal justice programs.
As of May 2018, there were about 24,290 paralegals employed in Texas, with the Dallas and Houston metropolitan areas among the top ten metros with…
Border patrol agents (BPAs) are law enforcement officers who enforce federal laws when people or goods travel into the United States. They work along the…
Are you ready to find a school that's aligned with your interests?
Search schools to find the program that's right for you.