Approximately 2,440 paralegals were working in Nevada in the year 2018, with the majority (1,950) in the Las Vegas-Henderson metro area.1 Paralegals and legal assistants in Nevada are in a field with strong prospects for growth and good salary expectations, and Nevada paralegal schools provide paralegal degree programs that equip students with the skills and training needed to enter the legal field in two to four years.
How to Become a Paralegal in Nevada
There are currently no requirements set by law to become a paralegal in Nevada, although many paralegals opt to complete certification or degree programs in order to become more competitive. Paralegals cannot practice certain legal functions such as giving advice or appearing in court; however, they are allowed to do substantive legal work under the supervision of an attorney, who takes responsibility for the paralegal’s professional actions. Because of this unique professional relationship, attorneys tend to prefer to hire paralegals who have completed a degree program and who have achieved national certification, such as that offered by the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA) or the National Federation of Paralegal Associations (NFPA).
Nevada Paralegal Salary and Job Outlook
As of 2018, Nevada paralegals earned an average of $57,600 per year, slightly higher than the national average of $54,500.1 Nevada paralegal jobs are expected to grow 31% through 2026 with 290 average annual openings, which is substantially faster than the projected national average growth rate of 15%.2,3 Opportunities for advancement can come from gaining more experience, taking on additional responsibilities within firms or businesses, and moving into supervisory roles within legal departments.
Featured Online Programs
Explore program formats, transfer requirements, financial aid packages, and more by contacting the schools below.
Profiles of Well-Known Schools in Nebraska
Truckee Meadows Community College: The History, Political Science, and Law Department at the Truckee Meadows Community College in Reno has a paralegal Associate of Applied Science, the only American Bar Association-approved paralegal program in the state of Nevada. Online instruction is offered for five courses: Fundamentals of Paralegalism; Probate, Trust, and Guardianship; Procedure-Criminal; Bankruptcy; and Business Structures. This 66-credit hour degree typically takes two years to complete and all students must complete the Supervised Field Experience course so as to gain in-office experience. The professors and instructors who teach for the program have substantial experience as practicing attorneys and paralegals.
College of Southern Nevada: The College of Southern Nevada has the largest student body in the state and its Department of Business Administration has both an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) and a certificate in paralegal studies. The AAS is a 63-credit hour program while the certificate is 32 credit hours and can be completed within two semesters. Both types of students are required to complete Fundamentals of Law I, Civil Procedure, Law Office Management, Legal Writing, and Legal Research (I and II). The Supervised Field Experience is not mandatory, but many students choose to enroll in it so as to obtain professional experience that also supports the degree plan. The nine hours of Paralegal Studies electives allow AAS students to pursue a specialization such as Family Law, Constitutional Law, or Bankruptcy.
Top Law Firms for Paralegal Graduates in Nevada
- International firm Greenberg Traurig LLP maintains an office in busy Las Vegas, and here it offers the services one would expect from a firm located in a world-class city, including corporate and securities law, intellectual property, entertainment, gaming, and business reorganization, among others. The Las Vegas office is growing quickly and is looking for highly motivated, academically successful paralegals committed to helping Greenberg Traurig uphold its sterling reputation.
- Morris Law Group is an AV-rated commercial litigation firm, well known throughout the West for its litigation practice. It has been recognized by US News and Best Lawyers for its standing as one of the best General Commercial Litigation law firms. Morris Law Group welcomes inquiries from well-qualified paralegals who want to grow into a career with the firm.
Paralegal Schools and Programs in Nevada
An asterisk indicates that one or more of the school’s programs have been approved by the American Bar Association (ABA).
College of Southern Nevada (Las Vegas)
Associate of Applied Science | Paralegal Studies
Certificate of Achievement | Paralegal Studies
Truckee Meadows Community College (Reno)*
Associate of Applied Science | Paralegal/Law
Bachelor of Arts | Criminal Justice- Pre-Law Specialization
University of Nevada (Las Vegas; Reno)
Master of Laws | Gaming Law and Regulation
Philosophy Minor | Law and Justice Concentration
Minor | Business Law
Certificate | Paralegal Studies
Certificate | Paralegal Studies (online)
Paralegal Specialist Certificate | Administrative Law (online)
Paralegal Specialist Certificate | Alternative Dispute Resolution (online)
Paralegal Specialist Certificate | Criminal Law (online)
Paralegal Specialist Certificate | Employment Law (online)
Paralegal Specialist Certificate | Environmental Law (online)
Paralegal Specialist Certificate | Family Law (online)
Paralegal Specialist Certificate | Immigration Law (online)
Paralegal Specialist Certificate | Intellectual Property Law (online)
Paralegal Specialist Certificate | Juvenile Law (online)
Paralegal Specialist Certificate | Media and Entertainment Law (online)
Paralegal Specialist Certificate | Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning (online)
Paralegal Specialist Certificate | Worker’s Compensation Law (online)
Certificate | Nurse Paralegal
Program | Pre-Law
*Approved by the American Bar Association (ABA)
- Las Vegas Valley Paralegal Association – Offers networking opportunities, events, and educational opportunities for its members.
- Sierra Nevada Association of Paralegals (SNAP) – Committed to promoting the legal assistant/ paralegal profession through education and networking opportunities.
- The State Bar of Nevada: Paralegal Division – Find out news and events, articles and laws related to the paralegal profession in Nevada.
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics May 2018 Occupational Employment and Wages, Paralegals and Legal Assistants: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes232011.htm
2. Projections Central Long Term Occupational Projections: http://www.projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm
3. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Paralegals and Legal Assistants: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/legal/paralegals-and-legal-assistants.htm
A master’s degree in criminal psychology focuses on how psychology applies to criminals and criminal contexts. Criminal psychology master’s programs provide foundational knowledge of clinical…
Our ranking explores the top U.S. criminal psychology degrees of 2021 and provides a detailed guide to program requirements and career tracks.
Interested in pursuing a juris doctor? Explore our list of 2021 JD degrees to find excellent ABA-approved and accredited programs at top law schools.
Are you ready to find a school that's aligned with your interests?
Search schools to find the program that's right for you.