All About Texas Department of Criminal Justice
This page provides useful resources for individuals seeking information regarding the Department of Criminal Justice in Texas. This site also features criminal justice degree information for the states adjacent to Texas: New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana.
Jurisdiction of Texas
- Texas Courts Online: The Texas online court features a judicial directory, a court case history search, upcoming news and events as well as a frequently asked questions section for the public regarding complaints, records and research.
- Texas Department of Public Safety: The Department of public safety features fingerprinting services, a criminal search history and annual crime reports.
- US Census Bureau: Population and demographic information regarding the state of Texas according to the US Census Bureau.
- Texas State Data Center and the Office of the State Demographer: Census information specifically from the state of Texas—includes population projections, health related estimates, demographic profiles and information on state government and resources.
- Texas State Library and Archives Commission: Information from the Texas State Library including an economic overview, state statistics and reference information for the cities and counties throughout the state.
- The Handbook of Texas Online: An encyclopedia featuring information strictly about the state of Texas.
- Texas Legislature Online: A reference for information regarding bills, texts, amendments, statutes, votes,
- The State of Texas: Governor: A listing of the offices of the governor.
- Texas Records and Information Locator: A comprehensive reference list to all of the state agencies in Texas.
- Texas District and County Attorneys Association: Information on case law, updated news and issues currently in prosecution.
Famous Texas Court Cases
- Roe v. Wade: Supreme Court decision that took place in the Northern District of Texas and regarding abortion law.
- Texas v. Johnson: Landmark case referencing desecration of the flag.
- Railroad Commission of Texas v. Pullman Company: This case resulted in a Supreme Court decision being passed down regarding the legality of bringing a state case into federal court.
- Texas v. White: A case regarding the legitimacy of the sale of United States bonds by a state involved in secession.
- City of Cleburne, Texas v. Cleburne Living Center, Inc.: Supreme Court ruled on a case that dealt with discrimination of mentally handicapped individuals.
- Hernandez v. Texas: Discusses the 14th amendment of the Constitution in regard to equal protection across the races.
- Lillian's Law: A highly publicized case regarding the repercussion that a dog owner may face after the dog has attacked or mauled someone.
- Hopwood v. Texas: A civil rights case regarding affirmative action in reference to college admissions.