Rhode Island Criminal Justice Schools
- Six schools offering criminal justice degrees in Rhode Island are in our database. (see below)
- One offer associate’s degrees or certificates, three of them offer bachelor’s degrees and above, and one offer a mix of bachelor’s
- We found no schools in Rhode Island ranked in US News and World Reports that have a criminal justice program
- According to Kiplinger’s, Rhode Island has no universities ranked in the top 100 for “Values in Public Colleges”
- 10 campus-based and online schools in Rhode Island are available for requesting information.
Profiles of Well-Known Schools
Johnson and Wales University: Johnson and Wales University offers students the opportunity to pursue a Bachelors in Criminal Justice as well as a Master of Science in Criminal Justice Management. Students often become members of the Criminal Justice Association, providing peer support and professional networks. The university encourages it students to seek out supplemental experience through one of it many study abroad programs, which are active in over a dozen different countries in Europe, Asia and Latin America. The faculty consists of top rated criminal justice experts, including former employees of the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).
Rhode Island Criminal Justice Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Annual Salary|
|Correctional Officers and Jailers||1,140||$58,690|
|First-Line Supervisors of Police and Detectives||470||$76,320|
|Detectives and Criminal Investigators||320||$77,070|
|Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers||1,910||$54,350|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
Respected leaders who have graduated from universities in Rhode Island
- Providence, RI Police Chief Hugh T. Clements – Roger Williams College, University of Rhode Island
- Warwick, RI Police Chief Stephen McCartney – Salve Regina University, Roger Williams College, Providence College
Rhode Island Criminal Justice Degrees
With the state’s population estimated to grow to more than 1.1 million by 2020 and anticipated decline in the number of working age residents, it is important for the state of Rhode Island to recruit criminal justice professionals who will be able to provide legal, public safety and other protective services to the state’s growing elderly and youth populations.
State agencies that hire professionals with backgrounds in criminal justice include the Rhode Island State Police, Department of Corrections, Department of Public Safety, Department of Environmental Management, and others. The US Department of Homeland Security also employs criminal justice professionals in Rhode Island. Job opportunities with the DHS include criminal investigators, special agents, disaster assistance specialists, and transportation security.
Rhode Island Criminal Justice Salary
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average yearly salary for police officers in Rhode Island is $52,630.1 A promotion to first-line supervisor will earn an average of $71,010.1 In the position of detective the average annual salary is $71,4501 while paralegals and legal assistants earn an average of $49,980.1
Rhode Island Criminal Justice Employment Outlook 2, 3, 4, 5
- Police and Sheriff Patrol: 60 annual openings/88% in positions report some college or bachelor’s degree
- Correctional Officers: 40 annual openings/60% in positions report some college, or bachelor’s degree
- Detectives and Criminal Investigators: 10 annual opening
- Security Guards: 70 annual openings
These open positions would be a result of replacement and growth.
The Mercatus Center is a conservative think tank that rated and analyzed the long-term solvency of each state. Budgets, cash/tax collections, and pensions were analyzed, and Rhode Island was ranked 42nd in the nation. This means new employees should watch closely the state’s ability to pay out employee pensions.
Online and Rhode Island Criminal Justice Schools
If you live in Rhode Island, we recommend the following accredited campus-based and online criminal justice programs for students interested in pursuing associates, bachelor’s and master’s degrees in the growing field of criminal justice.
Tip: If you don’t live near a campus-based school that offers a program of interest, consider an online degree or a university in an adjacent state (Massachusetts, and Connecticut).
Copy and paste the following HTML code to add this infographic to your site:
Directory of Rhode Island Universities Offering Criminal Justice Degrees
Community College of Rhode Island (Warwick, RI)
Associate in Science | Law Enforcement
Associate of Science | Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary
Certificate | Legal Office Assistant
Johnson & Wales University (Providence, RI)
Bachelor of Science | Criminal Justice
Lincoln Technical Institute (Lincoln, RI)
Associate of Science | Criminal Justice (online program)
Associate of Science | Criminal Minds (online program)
Bachelor of Science | Criminal Justice & the Study of the Criminal Mind (online program)
Bachelor of Science | Criminal Justice and the Study of the Criminal Mind (online program)
Bachelor of Science | Information Management and Security (online program)
Certificate | Criminal Justice
Rhode Island College (Providence, RI)
Bachelor of Arts | Justice Studies | Criminal Justice
Roger Williams University (Bristol, RI)
Bachelor of Science | Criminal Justice
Master of Science | Criminal Justice
Salve Regina University (Newport, RI)
Bachelor of Arts | Administration of Justice
Certificate of Graduate Studies | Administration of Justice
Certificate of Graduate Studies | Homeland Security
Certificate of Graduate Studies | Law Enforcement Leadership
Master of Science | Administration of Justice
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_RI.htm
2. Bureau of Labor Statistics: http://www.bls.gov/lau/ see state on page for current unemployment rate
3. Projections Central: http://https://www.projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm.htm
4. Y Charts 10 Year Unemployment Chart: http://http://ycharts.com/indicators/rhode_island_unemployment_rate
5. Mercatus Center State Fiscal Condition: http://mercatus.org/publication/state-fiscal-condition-ranking-50-states