Alaska Criminal Justice Schools
- 3 schools offering criminal justice degrees in Alaska are in our database. (see below)
- 2 of them offer bachelor’s degrees, and 1 offers a mix of bachelor’s, associate’s, and certificates.
- No Top Ranked Schools in US News and World Reports
- According to Kiplinger’s, Alaska has no schools listed in the top 100 for “Values in Public Colleges”.
- 10 campus-based and online schools in Alaska are available for requesting information.
Due to Alaska’s economy being based largely on the extraction of natural resources, it has been able to buck larger national trends of economic malaise and jobs being lost. In fact, Alaska has not only steadily increased its population, but it is also projected to outpace the rest of the country’s growth for the next 20 years by over 62% according to the US Census.
Profiles of Well Known Schools in Alaska
University of Alaska, Fairbanks
Both undergraduate and graduate programs can be obtained at the Department of Justice at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks. The Bachelor of Arts in Justice is one of he most popular programs of its kind in the state and the Masters of Arts in Justice Administration is the first graduate degree at UAF to be offered fully online. The department hosts numerous symposiums and conferences with focuses ranging from dispute resolution to cyber terrorism, involving both faculty and student research. Graduates of the bachelor’s program are effectively prepared to pursue graduate study and those enrolled in the master’s program are specifically trained to take on supervisory and management positions.
University of Alaska, Anchorage
The Justice Center at the University of Alaska Anchorage offers a Bachelor of Arts in Justice and a Masters in Public Administration with a Criminal Justice Emphasis. Since 1975, the center has been breaking ground in research on juvenile justice, crime prevention and domestic violence. The faculty are experts in a broad range of disciplines including law, corrections, and law enforcement and regularly contribute to the Alaska Justice Forum, the quarterly center publication. The UAA Justice Center is also home to the Alaska Justice Statistical Analysis Center (SAC), which is funded by the US Department of Justice. Students will also find the academic and professional networking they need with two center student organizations, the Justice Club and the Alpha Phi Sigma National Criminal Justice Honor Society.
Alaska Criminal Justice Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Annual Salary|
|Correctional Officers and Jailers||1,080||$57,640|
|First-Line Supervisors of Police and Detectives||330||$87,860|
|Detectives and Criminal Investigators||110||$106,750|
|Police and Sheriff’s Patrol Officers||1,140||$72,240|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
Respected leaders who have graduated from universities in Alaska
- Former Governor Jay S. Hammond – University of Alaska, Fairbanks
- Alaska State Sentator Lyman Hoffman – University of Alaska
- Alaska House of Representative Scott Kawasaki – University of Alaska, Fairbanks
Alaska Criminal Justice Degrees
Opportunities for criminal justice degree holders in Alaska are uniquely broad. Not only does Alaska offer the typical employment opportunities with the city and state government, but due to its location on two international borders (Canada and Russia) and the large quantity of federally controlled land in the state, there is good opportunity for criminal justice jobs with the federal government.
Alaska’s Criminal Justice Employment Outlook 2, 3, 4, 5
If you live in Alaska, we recommend the following accredited campus-based and online criminal justice programs for students interested in pursuing associate’s, bachelor’s and master’s degrees in the growing field of criminal justice.
Online and Alaska Criminal Justice Schools
University of Phoenix
- A.A. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice Administration
- M.S. in Administration of Justice and Security
- Criminal Justice, AA (Online)
- Criminal Justice, BA (Online)
- Homeland Security, BA (Online)
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership-Advanced
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Online Teaching in Higher Education-Advanced
- B.S. in Criminal Justice - Crime and Criminals
- MS - Criminal Justice
- PhD - Criminal Justice
- BS - Criminal Justice
Florida Tech University Online
- Associate of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice/Homeland Security
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice
Keiser University Graduate School
- Criminal Justice, MA (Online)
University of Cincinnati Online
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
Boston University - Online
- Master of Criminal Justice
Kent State University
- Master's - Criminology & Criminal Justice - Victimology
- Master's - Criminology & Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master's - Criminology & Criminal Justice - Police
Colorado Technical University Online
Campuses: 1Colorado Springs
Salary Information for Graduates in Alaska
Salaries for police officers vary by region and upon completion of training and probation. The mean annual wage for police and patrol officers in Alaska is $64,610. 1 Members of the Fairbanks Police Department enjoy a four day work week and generous benefits with preference given to individuals who have completed college-level criminal justice coursework. In addition to these opportunities, the Alaska Department of Corrections and US Department of Homeland Security are all currently hiring for a number of positions.
Average Computer Forensic Salaries in Alaska:
Average salary for a computer forensic examiner in the state of Alaska: $62,000-$69,000**
Average computer forensic salary in Anchorage, Alaska: $63,000-$70,000**
Average computer forensic salary in Juneau, Alaska: $61,000-68,000**
Average computer forensic salary in Fairbanks, Alaska: $55,000-61,000**
Average computer forensic salary in Kodiak, Alaska: $54,000-60,000**
As Alaska continues to grow its population, it follows that the number of crimes committed and number of people incarcerated will continue to increase. Because of this, demand for criminal justice graduates, which is already high, is likely to continue to increase for the foreseeable future.
Copy and Paste the following HTML code to add this infographic to your site:
Directory of Alaska Universities Offering Criminal Justice Degrees
Charter College (Anchorage, AK)
Criminal Justice Degrees Offered:
Associate of Applied Science | Criminal Justice
Bachelor of Science | Criminal Justice
Certificate | Legal Assistant
University of Alaska-Anchorage (Anchorage, AK)
Criminal Justice Degrees Offered:
Bachelor of Science | Justice
University of Alaska-Fairbanks (Fairbanks, AK)
Criminal Justice Degrees Offered:
Bachelor of Science | Justice Program
(1) Bureau of Labor Statistics: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_AK.htm
(2) http://www.bls.gov/lau/ see state on page for current unemployment rate
(3) USA TODAY/Moody’s Analytics/BLS: http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2009-02-06-new-jobs-growth-graphic_N.htm
(4) Bureau of Labor Statistics’ State Occupational Projections: http://www.projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm
(5) 24/7 Wall St: http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/11/21/the-best-and-worst-run-states-in-america-a-survey-of-all-50-2/)
Page Edited by Charles Sipe.