San Jose Police Department Officer Requirements
How to Become a San Jose Police Officer
To join the San Jose Police Department, the SJPD requires all of it’s officers to have earned at least 60 semester college credits or 90 quarter college credits. In addition to a number of other requirements that you can review at www.sjpd.org/JoinSJPDBlue/BecomingAPoliceOfficer.html. You must take and pass the California P.O.S.T Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) also known as the P.O.S.T. Reading and Writing Test, with a “T-score” of 50 or higher. After passing the P.O.S.T. Test and the 1.5 mile run with an acceptable time, you are invited to submit an online application at www.joinsjpdblue.com.
The San Jose Police Department’s Mission Statement includes the following:
- Promote public safety
- Prevent, suppress, and investigate crimes
- Provide emergency and non-emergency services
- Create and keep a strong community partnerships
- Adapt a multidisciplinary approach to solving community problems
- Develop and promote a diverse, professional workforce
San Jose Police Officer Training, Prerequisites and Educational Requirements
At least a two year associate’s degree is required to become a San Jose police officer. In addition to passing the P.O.S.T. Examination and the 1.5 mile run, candidates must also complete an online P.H.Q. (Personal History Questionnaire) before being scheduled for an Oral Interview with a panel of three officers who will rate the candidates responses to questions. There is also a polygraph test, an oral psychological exam, and a written psychological examination. It is also important that candidates have not committed any felonies or violent assault misdemeanors. Candidates that fulfill all the requirements are given a conditional job offer, and must submit to a medical examination to determine suitability.
San Jose Police Officer Salary and Job Outlook
Every January and July 60 cadets are enrolled in the Police Academy, and trained in the various skills required to perform effectively as a San Jose Police Officers. San Jose Police Department Salaries, Benefits, and Job Outlook Cadets enrolled at the Police Academy make $33.28 per hour, and the salaries of successfully employed San Jose Police Officers ranges from $80,641 to $116,093. Benefits include a four-day work week, 90% Medical, and 100% Dental, and 80 hours of paid vacation.
The job outlook is uncertain all across the law enforcement community. Contact your local recruiter to see if the city is currently hiring.
Applicants are encouraged to take the P.O.S.T. Examination even if the department is not currently hiring, so that they can have a jump on the process when hiring does occur.
Featured Online Criminal Justice Schools and Law Enforcement Degrees
Grand Canyon University
- B.A. in Government with an Emphasis in Legal Studies
- B.A. in Government with an Emphasis in State and Local Public Policy
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice
- MS - Criminal Justice
- PhD - Criminal Justice
- BS - Criminal Justice
Carrington College California
Campuses: 1San Jose
- AS in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice (Victim Advocacy)
- BA in Criminal Justice (Security Services)
Kent State University
- Master's - Criminology & Criminal Justice - Victimology
- Master's - Criminology & Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master's - Criminology & Criminal Justice - Police
Institute of Technology
- Criminology and Emergency Response Management