Corrections Degree Program
When people think of law enforcement or public safety, the image that usually comes to mind is the officer working a beat, responding to calls and making arrest. However, the management of criminals after their arrest is a major aspect of the criminal justice system and a growing population of criminals in the nation’s corrections facilities generates an ongoing need for law enforcement personnel charged with managing criminals in detention.
Corrections Officer Training and Courses
A degree in corrections can help prepare the individual to provide superior public safety by giving the individual the knowledge and skills necessary to work in the growing field of corrections. Courses include history of corrections, correctional methods, public safety and working with individuals in a correctional environment. Correctional degrees are also referred to as criminal justice degrees with a concentration in corrections. Individuals can obtain anywhere from an associate’s degree to a doctorate degree in criminal justice.
With increased crime, mandatory structured sentencing and growing inmate populations, corrections jobs remain in high demand. These jobs call for well educated, well trained individuals to meet the needs of the corrections industry. Additionally, command positions (sergeants, lieutenants, superintendents, etc.) often require a college degree. Depending on the level of degree sought, the program can be from 2 to 4 years.
Correctional Management Degree Requirements
Corrections degree program admission requirements include a desire to work in the corrections industry, a high school diploma or GED and good computer skills. Jobs are available in the private and public sectors with state and federal government employing the most correctional officers.
Online Corrections Degree Info, Courses, and Criminal Justice Programs
- MS in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- BS in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- MS in Criminal Justice - Law
American InterContinental University Online
- Bachelor's - Corrections and Case Management
University of Phoenix
- A.A. in Criminal Justice
- B.S in Criminal Justice Administration/Cybercrimes
- B.S. in Criminal Justice Administration - Human Services
- Criminal Justice - Juvenile - BS
- Criminal Justice - AS
- Criminal Justice - Corrections - BS
- Criminal Justice / Home land Security
Salem International University
- Criminal Justice: CSI (BS)
- B.S. in Human Services - Criminal Justice
- Ph.D. in Social Work - Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice - Crime and Criminals
1. John Jay College of Criminal Justice: http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/Final_Life_After_Lockup.pdf
Page Edited by Charles Sipe.