Careers in Counter Terrorism
Following the 9/11 attacks on New York, Washington DC and Pennsylvania, the outlook for counter terrorism careers has skyrocketed. Careers in counter terrorism cover a wide range of agencies, occupations and skill sets.
When many people think of counter terrorism, they immediately think of federal government careers. Many federal agencies are charged with the task of investigating possible terrorist activities, gathering evidence and apprehending and prosecuting individuals who are engaged in terrorist activities. The Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Central Intelligence Agency and the Department of Homeland Security are the most often recognized government entities responsible for this task; however, they are only a small portion of the agencies that are engaged in counter terrorism activities. Also, military careers are instrumental in the counter terrorism industry.
Careers that may be included in the counter terrorism industry include CIA analyst, CIA officer, NSA officer, computer forensics, forensic accountant, secret service agent, law enforcement, TSA screener, border patrol agent and more.
Counter Terrorism Requirements
Educational requirements for careers in counter terrorism vary depending on the agency and the amount of expertise necessary in that particular field. For example, a forensic accountant will need a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting. A law enforcement officer; however, may only carry a minimum requirement of a high school diploma or an associate’s degree.
Counter Terrorism Career Outlook and Salary
As the United States continues to fight the war on terrorism, career outlook in this field continues to be favorable. The average salary varies greatly depending on the particular job description and geographic location of the job. You can find salary information on individual job postings of counter terrorism jobs at our jobs board and on USA Jobs.
Featured Law Enforcement and Homeland Security Programs
- M.S.in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Public Administration - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- M.S. in Criminal Justice Leadership & Executive Management - Homeland Security Policy
American InterContinental University Online
- Bachelor's - Homeland Security and Crisis Management
Colorado Technical University Online
- Masters of Science in Management in Homeland Security
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice: Human Services
- BS - Homeland Security
- MS - Criminal Justice
- PhD - Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice, AA (Online)
- Criminal Justice, BA (Online)
- Homeland Security, BA (Online)
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
Keiser University Graduate School
- Criminal Justice, MA (Online)
Page Edited by Charles Sipe.